Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ooooops, My Bad!

I have made a lot of mistakes in my life. Most don't need to be pointed out, you move on, you forget about them, you get stronger and hopefully smarter from them. I bring this up because unfortunately I made, yet again, another mistake. This one is worth sharing though.

Yesterday me and the husband went to Costco. As soon as we arrived back home we left all the stuff on the counters and left for his Dads house to devour some of their Turkey Day leftovers. We also watched a movie and then came promptly home and went to bed.

This morning I woke up and looked around and realized how big of a mess the kitchen was. I promptly put all the groceries away. There was a huge box of cheerios on the counter. I HATE anything on the counters. Our kitchen is so frustrating. We have no pantry....at all. Therefore we cram as much in the cupboards as we can. There is a furnace closet in the kitchen that Anthony managed to get a small skinny shelf in to help with the grocery madness. With that being said, on the top shelf is where this story begins. I decided that since the box of cheerios were so big that I would take the 2 single bags out. You know, space management. I specifically.....SPECIFICALLY remember telling myself that I better not turn the lightbulb on in the closet because the cheerio bag was close nearby.

Hours past....................I finished the kitchen, the dishes and even managed to bake some bread. I felt satisfied with the work I had accomplished and turned off the kitchen light. I was on my way to join Anthony on the couch to see if Star Wars (eeeek!) was ever going to end. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a light.....oh my dear! I run over to the closet, open the door and all I smell is smoke....

Heres what I found.........

OOOOOPPPPSY! MY BAD!! Here is what I learned today....

#1 I learned that I am no good at putting things away. I don't even eat cereal! He is going to put his crap away from now on. I know that means that it will sit on the counter all week, but I am bitter and am done. I am not a slave! Put your own crap AWAY!
#2 I learned that I need a new house. A house that was built after the 70's and therefore has a pantry in it. This was bound to happen eventually! Luckily I caught it (I'm quite the hero) before it burnt the house down (me being dramatic).
#3 I learned that lightbulb + burnt plastic + burnt Cheerios =horrid smell. So much for the banana bread scent, its now gone and overpowered by a horrid stench!

Another lesson learned. Boo!

5 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

I dont think I would have even thought about putting the cheerio bag too close to the light bulb Im sure I would have done the same thing.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

this happens to the best of us.

and one thing, when i was with my bf at the time (now significant EX-bf), he would always watch star wars/trek and I would always keep coming back in to see when it was over. EEEEK is right. There was a time in our lives when it came on at like 9am til 11pm and we wouldn't do anything til after that. FML.

But, if you wanted to compare that to Max, there was a time in between 10pm and 6am where I would sleep or half way sleep and wait for him to get off work and that seemed like it was just as horrible as waiting for star trek to be over.

But...now that I have moved on with my lovely life...there is no time to waste and no more waiting..and everything I do is all about ME ME ME.

:)

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

ah ha ha! this makes me feel better for so many different things... good one!

Shanna said...

Wow, that is some burn hole! Its a good thing you didn't do that before going the in-laws...you might not have had a house when you returned. I really love your plan to not longer worry about putting it away...what a great resolution!