Saturday, June 27, 2009

Big Cottonwood Canyon Hike

Anthony loves hiking. I, on the other hand........well I don't love it, per se, but I endure it. He decided to take me up Big Cottonwood Canyon this morning up the Mineral Flats Trail. It was beautiful! The temperature was perfect! I thought it was going to be a stroll in the park. He would never take me on a hike that was strenuous....or so I thought. After about 10 minutes I quickly discovered that this was not going to be so easy. It was all up hill. Up hill meaning mountain. I was heaving, and clutching my lungs as if I was going to faint at any moment. He on the other hand was oblivious to any physical pain.

We went up about 3 miles. We were almost to the top (we had about 1/2 a mile) when I finally collapsed(not literally, I just stomped my feet and started pouting) and said "I can't do this anymore". He was a little bummed, but I felt as if I has gone as far as I possibly could. There wasn't much terrain that was level.....just all up (definitely hard on the moral).

Before we headed back we did find a Geo Cache Site. It is totally dorky but in my own defense I think of it as treasure hunting. We finally found a orange little tube that had all the people that had visited the site. We added our names and put it back. There was another site that was supposedly a big green ammo box, that was going to have something exciting in it.....alas...after searching for 45 minutes we finally decided to abort and head back.

It really was fun though, we discussed that I'm not really a hiker, just a happy person that enjoys "nature walks". He is so set in getting to the destination, I am content with enjoying everything around me. We saw a couple of waterfalls and lots of bugs. I wanted to thanks Leonard again for the hydration pack and walking stick....those came in handy!!! We decided that we would come back and finish the hike in about a month. Hopefully by then I can do the whole thing.

Anyways, this is probably really long but when we got back my feet, thighs, arms, butt...etc...etc were killing me. I took my shoes off and there was a huge chunk of skin off my foot and lots of blisters. Of course Anth didn't have any blisters......I have no idea how that was possible. I took lots of nasty pics of it and sent it to my mom with a cute lil message that said "IM ALIVE" I really am going to need another pedicure. Anyways, we had a good time together. Enjoy the pics.







































6 comments:

Shanna said...

Wow, I'm really impressed with your hike. It looks like you had a lot of fun...aside from the ripped up toe. Pedicures sound like a good plan!

Alicia said...

What a hike? I love geo's, though I've never actually been to an actual Geo Cache site. Good luck healing from those blisters. They look nasty.

Jill said...

The glory of being a lil Asian chick or man scrubbing off blisters during a pedicure.....that might one of the worst jobs ever.

The DeGiulio's said...

Wow that looks like a beautiful hike! I think me, shad and the pups are going to go on one Monday. I always get scared were going to get eaten by a bear or something else scary or see a snake. And then I worry my dogs are going to get eaten because we take them off their leashes so they can run around and explore. Guess Im a worry wart and should just enjoy the beauty of nature around me.

Khinna said...

Your post reminded me of Alaska- enduring until the end. I wish I would of hiked the Utah terrain a little more when I lived there. There's such amazing scenery in Utah I neglected to see while I was there. Those blisters look brutal. Maybe, we'll have time to hike something when we visit in the Fall. Er, wait, in Utah it might snow.

StephanieJanice said...

I totally hear you on the hiking. I'm not much of a fan. If I do go, I prefer a nature walk. It is so much better to enjoy what is around you.

I hope that your feet are feeling better. I can only imagine the pain.

I love that you frequently change the background of your blog. I am really enjoy seeing the changes when I come to read your posts.