Monday, February 9, 2009

Unwelcomed visit to the ER (another doozie of a post)

It all began with a roast. First of all, I consider myself a pretty good wife when Anthony is eating something other than 3 granola bars and a mountain dew for dinner. I was feeling pretty fantastic when I had made this fantastic roast. You know the kind...when its so moist and falls apart. Anyways, we had an enjoyable dinner on Thursday night of roast beef sandwiches. Then came Friday....leftover night. Anthony came home around 6ish. I had already ate. If you know me at all. you know that I wait for no one when i'm hungry. When he got home I prepared his sandwich. He took 1 bite...mmmm.......then a 2nd and then he just sat there. His face kind of went red and he said that it was going down slow.

This is nothing new. He is always having a rough time swallowing things. I usually pester him and tell him that maybe he should start chewing better. Usually it takes about 30 seconds then hes fine. This time was different. He went to the bathroom and he started throwing up. This went on for about 4 hours. So finally around 11:30 we decided to go to the hospital. This is how the remaining night went.

12:00-12:30 we stood outside in the cold. Anthony would spit/throw up the entire time
***The meat was stuck in his esophagus so when he would swallow any liquids, it would have no where else to go but back up.*****

Finally we got into the room. The dr gave him some nitro to put under his toungue and hooked him up to an iv with some weird medicine that was suppose to relax his throat and then some pepto to try and calm his stomach. Seconds after they gave him this medicaine his skin turned a scary yellowish pale color. He started shaking really bad and he was dry heaving. It was so scary! This didn't work. They tried it a second time. This also didn't work.

4:00am Lindsey starts to get extremely grumpy
I figured he could throwup at home lol. That is so selfish of me, but I was exhausted!!! I went out to the dr and said "I think hes ready to go home" LOL so selfish! The dr came in and said "okay he can leave if he can drink this water and keep it down". I knew I was doomed. Anth took one sip and threw it up immediately. The doc then told us we would have to go to another hospital to get a endoscopy......DUN DUn dUn! Our appointment was at 7:00.

We left the hospital a lil after 4:00. I got Anthony all bundled on the couch with his spit cup. Then I showered. Around 6 we left for downtown. After walking around the hospital campus for about 15 minutes we finally found the right building. Anth was called into the back room and I was left in the lobby. Then I embarressed myself. I was nodding off so bad. I couldn't keep my eyes open. Remember, I am no partyier. I don't stay up past midnight....ever!! So this was just too much for me. Apparently I nodded off and then I was awoken by my own loud SNORE!!! It was so humiliating I looked around and everyone was looking at me. I apologized. Then left the lobby and cried. Mostly cuz i was tired and worried....and I was embarressed.

The cute old dr finally called me back 2 hours later and told me they couldn't wake anth up. LOL I tried my best and finally after pleading to him to wake up so i could go to bed he woke up enough to get him in a wheel chair to take him home.....

What the dr had to say....

Apparently he is allergic to something that is causing acid to erode the sides of his asophogus. It is causing swelling to the point that is is a strugggle to swallow large objects sometimes. They took a bioposy to see what he may be allergic to. We will find out within a week or two. So from now on he has to take anti acidic pills. Poor guy. We got home around 10am. Then we crashed until 4 that afternoon. It was quite the ordeal. It was kind of funny as we were driving home tho. He had lots of questions. And he was really funny all drugged up. Thats really the only good that came from all of it.

It was a crappy weekend. But at least we know whats going on now and hopefully those pills will prevent it from happening again.....Oh I took some pics of it....enjoy

This is what I looked at from 1-2am Notice his pretty pink bed pan at the end of the bed...so sad


He was so exhausted by now. His throat was sore from throwing up.

This is when he got that scary medicine. Poor guy. I was so worried!



This is me trying to wake him up after the endoscopy. hahah he looks so sweet.



HAHA this one is funny to us now. He can barely keep his eyes open and his head is heavy from the drugs. Poor guy. I'm glad hes all better. Love ya hun!

4 comments:

Shanna said...

I have to say that my favorite part of this whole story is the pic of him in the wheelchair...LOL He looks beat! I'm glad he's okay and hopefully the next roast you make will go down a lot more smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear he is doing well. Allergies are no good. I am actually trying to find out what my little Cosette is allergic too as well. She doesn't have the throat problem, but I won't go into details with that. Well, I hope he gets better. He looks awful in the last picture. He must of been a sport letting you take those pics of him.

The DeGiulio's said...

oh man that doent sound fun at all, poor guy!

Amy and David said...

OHH my gosh.... How sad and scary. I am glad he is okay.