Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Side Job Experience (A long post)

Lindsey has a side job. Lets take a couple guesses of what it may be....Hmmm maybe working at a scrapbooking store part time? Nah....my whole paycheck would be spent on paper, ribbon, ink and such. Do I work at the mall in a clothing store? No, I'm not so great with high pressure sales. Let me just tell you....Lindsey counts cars. (haha this is starting to sound like that Seinfeld episode..."Jimmy's new in town" LOL classic)

So what does a car counter do exactly? Well, there's this lil nifty board, it has a little diagram of an intersection on it. Then rows of buttons. When a car turns left.....well by golly, I push the left button. When a car goes straight...well you guessed it, I push the straight button. You should see the excitement when a car does a U turn. Its intense. Anyways, I do this every once in awhile. Its only for 2 hours and the pay is great. They use the information to see if intersections needs stops signs or lights. At least that's what I've been told. I haven't done this for awhile because their hasn't been a need for at least 2 months. I was ecstatic the other day when I received an email seeing if I was available. I instantly emailed back proclaiming my love to counting. I soon got an email saying, "I'm sorry we have enough people now." Of course I was heart broken. But then luck came my way in the form of a phone call last night. One of the counter's car broke down, so I could do it now. YAY!

She sent me the information and omgosh! It was an on/off ramp. That's intense. So I show up and me and some girl I have never met, walk down to the side of the road to see if we could park somewhere.....nope. We have to sit on the side of the road. Okay time to travel down imagination road. If you could just picture this for a moment, me sitting on a folding chair, on the side of the road in 30 degree weather. My nose is running like a faucet and I am sitting next to some random chick I have never met. All I wanted to do is turn my zune on and stick my pretty pink headphones into my ears. Of course if this was someone else's life that would be no problem, but because its me I dealt with this.....

I pull out my zune from my purse
Random Girl: "Oh, your going to put your headphones on?"
Me: "Umm yeah"
Random Girl: "Oh I was really hoping we could get to know each other a little better."
Me:"Sigh"

I put my headphones away. I then listen to her for 2 hours straight. I gave her some advice about what managers look for in an employee. She went on about Valentines Day. This is her first year with a serious boy friend and she doesn't know what to get him. She just got a new apartment, she feels bad that her dad pays for her rent. Her mom just got a teaching job, after years of working at small jobs such as the grocery store and McDonald's, she finally gets to use her degree.....BLAH....BLah....BlAh...BLAH!!!

I'm sorry. I sound rude, but two hours of pushing buttons while people in their car stare at you, wondering what the heck you are doing is hard to do, especially with someone talking non stop. Maybe if the weather was nice. Maybe if my feet weren't freezing. Maybe if my hands weren't bleeding from the dry cold weather. Maybe if I didn't have snot running down my face. Maybe then I would have been more social, more outgoing, and more willing to give advice. But at that moment....I was not! So to you, random chick, I apologize. And to all of you fellow workers out there.....I hope you have a more pleasant side job.

6 comments:

Shanna said...

OMGOSH! This is the best post I have ever read!!! I was literally laughing my butt off all alone in my room.
I feel so bad that you were sitting on the side of the road in the cold...that's miserable! It's too bad we couldn't have done it together...we both could have stuck in our headphones without guilt.
Hopefully it'll be spring before anymore counts come up.

Alicia said...

Oh, man! I'm so sorry you go stuck for 2 hours listening to some random person in the cold. I hope your next counting job isn't as bad.

Shanna said...

And the flower would his offering of love to the desert
and the desert so dry and lonely........
would appreciate the effort!

Alicia said...

Yeah, I started it and I finished it. I read it in one day, started sunday morning and finished sunday evening.

Alicia said...

I liked it a lot. It made me sad, but I really liked the message that was portrayed.

Anonymous said...

I become a bitter person, when it's cold outside. You did better at listening, and participating in the conversation, better than I would have.