Monday, August 3, 2009

his version VS my version

Yesterday I got sucked into a reality show called "The next food network star". Lucky for me the finale was last night and I started the whole marathon at the very beginning. I was so inspired by these characters whose dreams were to have their own cooking show. I crawled in bed and as I drifted to sleep I dreamed of all the fantastic meals they had prepared and how I wished to be like them. I woke up with a fantastic recipe that I just knew I had to create for dinner tonight.

There was an appetizer called B.L.A.S.T Balls which included a tomato cut in 4th and then had lettuce, bacon and slices of avocados laid in it. The idea was amazing, his presentation....was not. I knew in my heart that I could make it better. Here is my version.



Here is the recipe

Lindsey's Exploding Tomato Salad
(serving size 2)

2 small hass avocados
4 small (on the vine) tomatoes
1 chicken breast (pound til chicken is thin)
1/2 can jumbo olives
2 cups fresh spinach
6 slices of turkey bacon (cook and crumble)
1/2 tbs Monterey Steak Seasoning
dash of garlic powder
1/2 tbs lemon juice
Newmans own light balsamic vinaigrette
4 skewers

*Sprinkle steak seasoning on chicken and cook in skillet (6 minutes per side).
*While chicken is cooking mash up avocados and add bacon, garlic powder, lemon juice. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
*Cut top of tomatoes and scoop out all seeds and innards.
*Place avocado mix in tomatoes
*After chicken is cooked thoroughly slice in thin slices
*Plate up a heaping cup of spinach and drizzle vinaigrette
*grab skewers and randomly add filled tomatoes, olives, chicken
*Place over salad
*Enjoy

This is probably the most beautiful meal I have ever made. The colors are vibrate and it was very healthy. The avocados mixed with the bacon and tomatoes is such a great flavor. It was so easy. I am truly proud! I hope everyone tries it! The next time I have anyone over I will definitely whip this recipe out.

5 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

I loved watching the next food network star. I completely forgot it was on last night and when Shad told me who won I was like why didnt you tell me it was on? and he said he did tell me but I must not have heard him because I was upstairs on the computer. I love food network so fun to watch. WHat you made looks so yummy and healthy.

Khinna said...

I love Food Network Star. Although, I don't have cable. It's good though, 'cause I would spend too many hours of the day froze in front of it. Anyways, I love the recipe you've posted. I am going on a low cal diet. Gotta lose that baby fat. Although, I'm not doing too well. Plus, with the move within the month, and the cross country drive. Plus, not getting into Georgia until end of October. Plus, all that holiday goodness cooking. Yeah, I think I've got a lot of excuses ;)

Jill said...

yay! its marvelous.


i like your new font thing goin on ur page too!

Brittney and Nikolaus said...

Hey Lindsey, just wanted to say hello and see how the family is. Hope everything is wonderful with you and Tony. Tell him I said hi and best of luck with his last year!

Shanna said...

It truely is beautiful. If I liked tomatos I'd probably try this recipe. I must also add that the fonts on your blog are absolutely beautiful...they look like they hardley took any time at all to add to your page. Wow! Impressive.