Sunday, August 16, 2009

Moloka'i

Friday me and the girls met up to discuss our latest book. "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert. Moloka'i was probably the most depressing book I have ever read. This story is about a young girl named Rachel who is diagnosed with Leprosy. She soon was shipped to Kalaupapa (leper Colony)where she is isolated from her family and watches as many of her close friends suffer and eventually die from the disease.

This book is a in depth look at the disease and how society treated those suffering. It was very well written and is a good balance of story and facts. Although it was very depressing, it is one that I would recommend to others.

Thanks Alicia for opening your home to us and for being such a great host. This months book is called "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz. The book seems pretty intense, which will be a nice change. Also, I get to be the host this month which is the best part. I plan on making something yummy to munch on. If anyone is interested in joining please let me know. We are looking for at least one or two more members, so please don't be shy. I plan on getting the book read fairly early (unlike last month). If you would like to borrow it from me, I would be more than happy too. Thanks and happy reading!

3 comments:

KEK said...

I would join the bookclub in a heartbeat, if I lived in the area. My husband saw the book on your blog, and he told me all about the island. Booker's family lived in Samoa and so I get the low down about the Pacific Island culture quite a bit. I think I'm going to add this one to the growing book pile ;)

Shanna said...

LOL, I will be shocked if you read both those books in time to loan them out to people. Let me know how your other bookclub book is...traitor.

Shanna said...

OMGOSH! I love your new page! It's beautiful!