Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My first quilt


I got this finished about a week ago. I finally found my camera, but alas, now I can't find the freakin cord. So once again, I apologize for the quality of the pic. I took Shanna's advice and decided to just make a simple blanket before I start on the tougher ones. I'm really glad I did. It looks okay from far away, but boy o boy its hilarious when you look up close. I'm going to keep on practicing so I can make some really cute ones. It's not bad for a first time though, especially since I got a "D" in sewing class in Jr High. Oh I have to tell about my first trip to Joann's to get fabric.

First of all I went after work. I looked and felt disgusting but I knew if I didn't go on my way home I wouldn't ever find the motivation to go later that day. I had to park about a mile away or at least it felt that way. Picture Walmart or Target on a Saturday evening....yes it was that bad. I figured it was from the popular store next door. I walk in and to my amazement it was packed! There were women EVERYWHERE! I grabbed the ad that was located at the front of the building and realized that fabric was 50% off all fabric (great!). I was happy that I was getting a deal but I always was overwhelmed. I was hoping to be able to go in and ask the employees for suggestions and advice but clearly that wasn't going to happen. I was pushed, and bumped and one lady ran over my foot with her cart. It was like black Friday all over again! I walked around the store for about an hour and a half. I felt as if my head was spinning lol.

I finally pick up a fabric and immediately a lady looks at me and said "Are you really going to take that one?". I was shocked! I immediately shot back "Well of course!". She shot her big nose back up in the air and walked off. After getting all of my supplies I went to the counter to get it cut...I soon realized you had to grab a number. The number they were serving was 7. I was in the 20's...I think 23, I can't really remember now. It was just amazing to me! Its fabric! I have never bought fabric, I'm use to buying paper and all the stuff that goes along with scrapbooking and card making. I've seen woman go berserk over those type of things, but this was just at a whole new level! I really hope I never get to that point in life.

Anyways, I realize this is way too long. I hope you all are having a great week! I'm off to Logan tomorrow again to work at the front desk. Luckily they are letting us spend the night in a room again! yay! African Safari here I come!

8 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm glad you posted a picture of your quilt. I love the story about to fabric store too. I can't wait to see your next one.

Have fun in Logan. I'll miss you.

Rachel said...

The quilt is darling! Good Job! I can't believe that lady in Joanns! I've had to wait in line for fabric (yes, I'm probably one of those), but really, that lady was over the top.

Alicia said...

A sewing queen me? I don't think I'm that good. I will look at the instructions and see if I can help you.

Shanna said...

Your quilt is beautiful...even up close. Far better than anything I could sew. I believe that you are going to make beautiful things...and you are in favor of becoming a fabric maniac like the others in the store. Good luck with that!

Shanna said...

I will let you know, though I am sure it will not make any difference. I cannot control your scrapbooking obsession, and if fabric enters that same realm...there is no hope for you. Sorry friend, best to just accept it.

Shanna said...

So true! LOL You can't do anything without your supplies.

Anonymous said...

I am a fabric lover of the sorts as well. But, I would never cross the line and smug at other people's choices of fabrics. I am glad those women didn't start pulling out their sheers, and rotatary cutters.

I love your quilt! I love to see your creative endeavours! I am being a bit lazy as far as posting anything creative. But your blog inspires me to craft!

The DeGiulio's said...

cute quilt! I love it, nice job!