Saturday, January 2, 2010


Week one- Learn how to make Risotto
Webster defines Risotto as rice that is sauteed briefly in butter with onions and possibly other aromatics, and then combined with stock, which is added in several additions and stirred constantly, producing a creamy texture with grains that are still al dente.
I have always wondered how hard this was. I've seen Hells Kitchen and how Chief Ramsay feels about Risotto. It seems like such a delicate dish. When I pulled this out of my vase filled with all the goals I needed to finish this year I was very intimidated. I am pleased to announce that I did finish it and yes it was edible. Here is my story regarding risotto.

It all started with a trip to the liquor store. :)
The recipe called for dry white wine. There was a recipe with just chicken broth but I felt like if I was going to do this, and do it right, I was to use wine. The liquor store is an intimidating place. I have been in there a time or two with a friend, but never by myself and definitely not to purchase anything for myself. Upon arrival I knew in my heart that if I was going to fill 100% satisfied with this goal I was going to have to do everything on my own. I walked in filled with all the confidence in the world until all the customers and cashiers looked at me as if I was 12 years old. So what if I listened to the Glee Soundtrack cd on the way over...thats beside the point. I staggered around and finally asked the lady at the cashier. I finally purchased a $21.99 bottle of red wine for the rockin sale price of $4.99. Did you catch the flaw in that? Yes, dear Linds purchased red instead of white. I was so concerned and over stimulated I completely spaced it......red/white......who cares? Here's a picture of the drive home.
After safely getting her to the grocery store to pick up a few items and getting her home I started getting all the ingredients together. Risotto has very basic ingredients which include: Rice, onions, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, chicken broth, and fresh herbs (parsley, chives and basil). The first step was opening the bottle
...ooopsy no cork screw. Luckily Anthony was around and could tell that I was a damsel in distress.
Once I got that taken care of I worked for the next 45 minutes on stirring the rice and making sure it didn't burn. I only had to use 1/2 cup of the wine so I thought it would be nice to bring it into the girlies at work. Then the whole rule regarding open containers in a vehicle popped in my head and I decided against it. The last thing I need is for another incident like the last one. No thanks, although it is the best story ever. I can just see it now.
Officer: Are you aware that you cannot have an open container in your vehicle?
Me: Oh, well I was cooking risotto, and um, I didn't drink any, its for my "friends"....I'm a cook. I DON"T DRINK!
Officer: Please take off your seatbelt.
Anyways, I accomplished my first goal. I had about 20 interviews, training, 6 out of 7 days of working, a 6am-2pm shift on new years day which was a difficult tasks after little sleep. If I can accomplish something as tricky as this recipe after the week I just had, I can accomplish all the other goals. I look forward to the journey ahead and the posts that will follow. Please leave lots of comments. I love to hear what everyone thinks. If you want the recipe, let me know. Heres the final shot before I gobbled it down.
:)Oh and fyi....the red wine worked fine:)
1 week down, 51 more weeks to go

6 comments:

Shanna said...

I am so proud of u! You completed week one AND made it to the liquor store all yourself! Way to go Anth for getting the stupid thing open for you...it's too bad, we have an extra corkscrew here...
Way to go, I can't wait for next week!

Jill said...

you should take a cork screw home from the inn, that way you will be all prepared for next time when you open your red wine. i was going to say...21.99 for WINE is outrageously expensive...and it must have been a really awesome wine...I never know the difference though in taste.

I am hungry.

Shanna said...

FYI....I finished through the looking glass. And the last 2 comments I sent u were done via my iPod. Neat huh? AND ur blog is one of my home screen shortcuts...how special do u feel right now?

Shanna said...

I will b honest with u, it is an easy read, but through the looking glass is tough. My head is reeling from it, and I'm thinking in sing song rhymes now. No good, no good at all. I feel u need to get cracking!

twinsand2boys said...

fun entry to read...
teach me how you do the cute font for the date and title of your posts...and the side bar stuff...

The DeGiulio's said...

You are so awesome with your goals for the new year. I dont even set them any more because I end up forgetting about them. Glad your rissota (I dont think I spelt it right?) turned out good. And I know what you mean about Hells Kitchen its pretty entertaining to watch. And what a buy on the whine 4.99 instead of 21.99. Good luck with the rest of your goals.